Principles for Responsible Investing
Mackenzie Investments is a signatory to the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) which encourages firms to adopt environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles into their investing practices.
The PRI Initiative is a global network of investors working together to put into practice six Principles for Responsible Investing. Its goal is to contribute to the development of a stronger global financial system by understanding the implications of sustainability for investors and support signatories to incorporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into their investment decision-making processes.
Fundamental to this Policy is our responsibility to act in the best interests of the Accounts. Our role is to exercise professional judgment on which ESG and non-ESG factors will be drivers of financial value and how we should approach them in order to enhance the long-term performance of the Accounts. Our ESG approach will provide further alignment between our investment activities and broader social and environmental objectives of society.
We believe that responsible investing in the mainstream investment decision–making process is best embodied by the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investing (“UNPRI”).
Where consistent with the best interests of the Accounts, we will:
- Incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis & decision making processes;
- Be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies & practices;
- Seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest;
- Promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry;
- Work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles; and
- Report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
We will engage our sub-advisors to promote the inclusion of ESG factors into their investment processes, policies and practices where these are not employed today. We will also promote the acceptance of the UNPRI with our sub-advisors and encourage their participation as signatories to the Principles.
Our approach to Responsible Investing is centered on:
- Active ownership
- Integration of ESG criteria in investment analysis and decision making processes
- Divestment only in exceptional circumstances
Find out more by reading our Responsible Investing Policy.