Do you have a passion for Investment Management? Are you looking to learn more in the area of quantitative investing? Are you interested in gaining exposure to systematic strategies, research and portfolio analytics? Are you interesting in learning from award-winning portfolio managers? If the answer to these questions is yes then we want to hear from you!
Mackenzie Investments hires 1-2 co-op students per semester on the Asset Allocation and Alternatives team and the Global Fixed Income team, with start dates in January, May and September. We look for students with backgrounds in:
- Computer Programming/Engineering
The following programs are also targeted:
- Master’s of Mathematical Finance
- Master’s of Quantitative Finance
- Master’s of Financial Economics
- Undergraduate programs in Mathematics, Finance, Economics and Computer Science, primarily partnering with University of Waterloo and University of Toronto.
The co-op program in Investment Management allows students to gain practical insight into major asset classes, including stocks, bonds, currencies and commodities, and the macroeconomic links betweenthese assets. Responsibilities of the students would include conducting research, building and enhancing decision-making tools, and back-testing investment strategies.
Are you interested in learning more about the products and services available to retail investors? Do you want to learn how one of Canada’s leading wealth management firms work with Canada’s network of financial planners and investment advisors to build their businesses? Do you want to learn how the sales department delivers the value proposition to end clients? Are you interested in working and learning from top-ranked sales teams? If the answer to these questions is yes then we want to hear from you.
The Distribution (Sales) team at Mackenzie offers 7 co-op positions per four-month term across our locations in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver. The positions have start dates in September, January and May with the following teams: Tax & Estate Planning, Inside Sales, Planning and Sales Effectiveness and Sales Experience and Analytics.
Students will have the following responsibilities with each team:
Tax & Estate Planning
- Research, analyze and prepare reports and present findings to senior management
- Create and edit presentations and proposals as required
- Assist with completing comprehensive Tax & Estate Planning reports (probate calculations, tax liability calculations and insurance needs calculations)
- Respond to general inquiries through the Tax & Estate Planning Inbox
The team looks for students with backgrounds in Commerce with a focus on Accounting, Economics or Finance.
- Research, build proposals/reports and present findings to senior management
- Review business processes to identify opportunities for improvement
- Work closely with the sales team to provide support on fund comparisons, pricing research, performance research, competitive analysis, Salesforce and territory planning
- Potential for limited interaction with Advisors
The team looks for students with backgrounds in Commerce with a focus on Finance, Economics, Business Administration or Marketing.
Planning & Sales Effectiveness (Events)
- Administrative support for events and conferences (internal corporate events and external client events)
- Management of Continuing Education Credits for events as required
- Coordination and assistance with conferences as related to registration set-up, tracking participants registration and onsite support as required
- Assist in supporting day-to-day events and onsite execution (Q&A sessions, managing traffic, welcoming guests and all other assigned duties)
- Support event planners by conducting venue research
The team looks for students with backgrounds in Commerce (with an interest in Events), Marketing and Hospitality & Tourism Management.
Sales Experience & Analytics
- Research, analyze, prepare reports and present findings to senior management
- Analyze business processes to identify opportunities for improvement
- Create and edit presentations and proposals as required
- Work with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel and analytics/visualization software
- Assist with project work dependent on business initiatives
The team looks for backgrounds in Commerce (with a focus on Economics, Finance or Business Administration), Financial Mathematics or Math and Computer Science.
Do you have a passion for Software Development? Do you like solving problems using application development? Do you want to gain experience in agile development practices? If your answer is yes then we want to hear from you.
The software development team at Mackenzie Investments offers four Co-op placements per year: two for the fall/winter term and two for spring/summer, with plans for future expansion. We partner with Ryerson University, University of Waterloo and Seneca College. The software development Co-op program provides students with hands-on experience in the software development industry while encouraging innovative and fresh ideas from the students. Students are paired up with experienced software developers to work with Java, Python, Angular 2, Salesforce and many other technologies.
How to Apply
For more details on how to apply to our co-op or internship programs, please contact your campus career centre.
Role: Associate Software Developer
Department: Information Services (IS)
University/Program: Seneca College/Computer Programming and Analysis (Co-op)
Mackenzie Investments is open and willing to hear the unique perspective from its students. My time at Mackenzie has been an exciting experience for me as I was able to see the company utilizing state-of-the-art technologies to solve business challenges. I believe the diversity of the staff is a core element of the Mackenzie culture. Mackenzie values and invites many different perspectives in the discussion which leads to the possibly of generating new innovative ideas.
The internship program at Mackenzie is well designed and highly organized in all aspects. The employees are friendly and are eager to offer help whenever I am in need.
Mackenzie Investments is definitely a great place for co-op/internship regardless of your previous experience. My advice for new students would be work hard, grow your connections and make the best out of your time here!
- Bowei Yao
Role: Business Operations Analyst
Department: Business Project & Consulting Services
University/Program: University of Guelph – Bachelor of Commerce - Management Economics & Finance
The culture at Mackenzie is extremely distinctive in that each individual is hard working, motivated and enthusiastic. At Mackenzie, our main objective is to put the customer first and that value is shared by every employee I encounter. The collaboration at Mackenzie is what made my time enjoyable as a co-op student; whenever I had questions or concerns everyone was open and willing to help out.
At Mackenzie, the concept of continual education is a driving force to the success of our employees. Mackenzie has enabled me to be forward thinking and by taking advantage of the internal professional development offered I believe I have gained different ways of thinking in order to do what is best for all stakeholders.
I would suggest three pieces of advice for new students: network, study hard and get involved within student-run clubs. All three of these aspects help round out your personal portfolio and will help you get acquainted with conducting yourself in a professional manner while gaining work ethic and business acumen.
- Nicholas Andreoli