Protecting your privacy
Mackenzie Financial Corporation (referred to in this Notice as “we”, “us”, “our”, and “Mackenzie”) has always been committed to protecting the privacy of personal information that we collect and maintain in the course of carrying on our business. This Notice describes how we collect, hold, use, and disclose your personal information. Please read this Notice and contact us through any of the means listed at the end of the document if you have any questions.
Members of the Mackenzie Group of Companies include any affiliates or successor companies of Mackenzie whose business relates to a purpose identified in this Notice.
In this Notice, your “Dealer” refers to an individual or entity acting or representing that it acts in connection with your investments as your investment advisor, broker, or dealer, or on behalf of your investment advisor, broker, or dealer. By applying for one of our products or services, you acknowledge and agree that your Dealer is your agent and not our agent. We are entitled to accept and act on any notice, authorization, or other communication that we believe in good faith to be given by you or your Dealer on your behalf. We are under no obligation to verify that your Dealer is properly authorized to act as your agent or is otherwise authorized to act on your behalf.
- Client Record and Personal Information: We hold the personal information we collect about you (and your spouse and/or beneficiary as applicable) for the purposes identified in this Notice in a record called the “client record”. Depending on the investment or service you request, the personal information in your client record may include your name, address, telephone number, social insurance number (“SIN”), birth date, account holdings, and the name, address, and SIN of your spouse and/or beneficiary among other information. For example, if you have established a pre-authorized payment plan, your financial institution account number is also held in your client record. Where you provide personal information about another individual, you represent to us that you are authorized to disclose such information to us.
- Providing Your Personal Information to Us: When you or your Dealer complete an application form or otherwise open an account with Mackenzie, you are providing personal information to Mackenzie, including, where applicable, personal information concerning your spouse and/or beneficiary, in order to:
- make an investment;
- provide instructions about an investment you have made; or
- receive information related to an investment you have made.
- Collecting, Holding, Using, and Disclosing Personal Information in Your Client Record: Mackenzie may collect, hold, and use the personal information in your client record as well as collect personal information from and disclose personal information to the third parties identified in paragraph 4 for the following purposes:
- identifying you and ensuring the accuracy of information contained in your client record;
- establishing and administering your account, determining, maintaining, recording, and storing account holdings and transaction information in your client record;
- executing transactions with or through Mackenzie including transferring funds by electronic or other means;
- providing you and your Dealer with account statements, transaction confirmations, tax receipts, financial statements, proxy mailings, registered plan notices, and other information which you or your Dealer may request as needed to service your account;
- verifying information previously given by you with any other organization when necessary for the purposes provided in this Notice;
- processing pre-authorized debit transactions;
- collecting a debt owed to Mackenzie;
- engaging in the financing or sale of all or part of our businesses, reorganizing our businesses, and obtaining and submitting insurance claims; and
- meeting legal and regulatory requirements.
- Third Parties:
- Mackenzie may collect your personal information for the purposes identified in this Notice from third parties such as your Dealer, other companies in the Mackenzie Group of Companies, other financial institutions and mutual fund companies, and from third parties who represent that they have the right to disclose the information.
- Mackenzie may transfer your personal information for the purposes identified in this Notice to our service providers, such as account statement preparation and mailing companies, courier companies, imaging companies, and document storage companies. When Mackenzie transfers personal information to our service providers, we ensure by contractual means that the transferred personal information is used only for the purposes for which the service provider is retained and is protected to the same degree as it is when in our possession. We may use service providers located outside of Canada, and where we do, personal information may be disclosed in accordance with the laws of the jurisdiction in which the service provider is located, including to the government in that jurisdiction and its agencies.
- Mackenzie may disclose your personal information to third parties where permitted or required by law, such as disclosure for tax purposes to the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Mackenzie may disclose your personal information for the purposes identified in this Notice to third parties such as your Dealer, third party service providers, data-processing firms, other companies in the Mackenzie Group of Companies, other financial institutions and mutual fund companies, and group plan administrators. If you wish to withdraw consent to the continuation of this type of information sharing or discuss the implications of such withdrawal, please contact us. Your decision to withdraw consent may prevent Mackenzie from providing or continuing to provide products and services to you because the disclosure to third parties is a necessary part of making the product or service available to you.
- Using Your SIN: By law, Mackenzie is required to use your SIN when submitting tax reports to the Canada Revenue Agency. We may use your SIN as an identifier for reasons such as consolidating your holdings so that fees associated with your account are reduced or are not charged more than once, or that your mailings are delivered in one envelope or are not duplicated. Also, we may share your SIN as a unique identifier for the purposes identified in this Notice to third parties such as your Dealer, group plan sponsor, and third party service providers. If you have any questions or concerns about the use of your SIN please contact us.
- Location of Your Client Record: Your client record is kept in electronic, microfilm, or paper format primarily in Toronto, but it may also be kept in other Canadian locations. To request access to your client record, please contact us.
- Changes to Your Personal Information: Please inform Mackenzie promptly of any change in the personal information that you have provided.
- Right to Access and Rectify Personal Information: You are entitled to access, through a written request, the personal information contained in your client record, subject to limited exceptions set out in law. You may verify this personal information and request that any inaccurate information be corrected. To access and correct your personal information, please contact us.
- Resolving Your Questions and Concerns: If your concerns about access to and/or the correction of your personal information have not been resolved to your satisfaction, or if you have any questions or other concerns about our management of your personal information, you can contact the Privacy Compliance Officer, Mackenzie Financial Corporation, 180 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 3K1. You may also send an email to email@example.com. If after contacting the Privacy Compliance Officer your question or concern has not been resolved, we can direct you to the appropriate federal or provincial Privacy Commissioner.
Mackenzie collects this personal information, holds it in your client record, uses it, and discloses it for the purposes identified in this Notice.
Resolving your questions and concerns: If you have any questions or concerns about the treatment of your personal information please take the following steps:
- Step 1. Your question or concern may be easily resolved by our Client Relations team:
- Step 2. If speaking with Client Services does not resolve your question or concern, you may contact the Privacy Compliance Officer:
Mail: 180 Queen Street West, Toronto, ON, M5V 3K1
- Step 3. If after contacting the Privacy Compliance Officer your question or concern has not been resolved, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada or the Office of your provincial Privacy Commissioner if you are resident in Quebec, Alberta, or British Columbia.